This was in my drafts and is over a month old now, but I thought I should post anyway.
I am writing this blog from 30,000 feet, though it won’t be posted until later because the flight’s internet is not working. (Seems to me that many things around me aren’t working anymore.) I am headed back to Albuquerque for the second time in four months. Why so soon, especially since the land of entrapment is usually reserved only for holidays? Well, my little sister Megan is tying the knot next Saturday, the 27th. It is very strange to think of myself as an adult 90% of the time because I am in denial of not being younger again, but it is even stranger to attend my sister’s wedding! Don’t get be wrong, I am VERY happy for her, and Seth is a great guy and will be a great brother-in-law. I am just in shock how fast time has moved on, especially in the past few years.
I can still remember when we moved to New Mexico. Quite honestly, I was pissed, even as a ten year old, I thought my dad was an idiot for moving us to that barren desert. To be honest, and now in my older age, I can see he did it for the right reasons after my mother passed away. Anyway, I still remember our cross-country road trip; the stop in Georgia, then Disney World, then on to Texas, then finally what was to become home. Well, things changed, life was made, and a new family came to be. One thing that is so vivid in my mind is my little sister through that trip. I don’t know why but specific memories are fuzzy. What I remember is arguing all the time, but still enjoying the trip, deep down.
Fast forward 8 years and I graduated from high school. I was so excited to get out of New Mexico, actually I didn’t want to go back that first Christmas. I wanted to be with my family but not there. But, they say absence makes the heart grow fonder and they (whoever they are) are right. My sister and I were at each others’ throats growing up, non-stop. Well, me leaving for college apparently did the trick and we started becoming friends.
Now I can say, she is probably one of my best friends who I can tell *almost* anything. She is still my little sister, but she has grown up and time has moved on in her life, just like it has for us all. And next week, she will become Mrs. Megan Martin. I am so proud of her, but a part of me always wants to go back to those times 15 years ago, riding in my dad’s brand new truck and headed into those Disney gates. So, as time has gone by, we have grown up and grown close. I might write again before that day, but if not Congrats Megan. I love you and wish only the best for you!
~Chrispy~

No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.